Trucking Authority

MC Number

ICC Number

For-Hire Carriers crossing state lines are required to have Trucking Authority/MC Number, or ICC Number/Motor Carrier Number or Truck Authority/Interstate Authority (they all mean the same thing) - Authority that is granted by the Feds in Washington.  However, some types of loads are exempt from Authority.  These Exempt Loads include livestock, logs and bulk grain.  You will not need Authority from Washington to haul these loads across state lines.  However, check with your home state for registration requirements to haul these loads into other states.  You will need to have an IRP plate, IFTA stickers and register for UCR to cross state lines with Exempt Loads.

  • Authority Requirements  In order to get Motor Carrier authority, you will need a USDOT number, then register for the BOC-3 List of Process Agents carry Personal Injury and Property Damage (PIPD) liability insurance on each of the power units crossing state lines.  Once you have been granted Trucking Authority / MC Number, you need to register for the  Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
  • Timeline  The process of obtaining Trucking Authority / MC Number takes between 21 and 24 days, but can take longer if there is any delay in submitting the documentation.  If the application process is submitted with a credit card, proof of liability insurance and the BOC-3 List of Process Agents on a timely basis, the application process will take 21 - 24 days to complete.  If a check is used to pay for the application, the proces could take several weeks to complete.
  • Docket Number / MC Number  You will be assigned a Docket Number which will end up being your MC Number and will be used as a reference number in the application process. Once Authority has been granted, the Docket Number will become your Motor Carrier Operating Authority number.  You cannot start hauling loads until all documentation for the application process has been submitted and authority is finally granted some 21 - 24 days after the application has been submitted to Washington.  Once Aauthority has been granted, you will be issued a letter of authority which you need to carry in the truck.  A Certificate is issued for Common Authority and a Permit is issued for Contract Authority.  When Authority is granted, it will take 7 - 10 days for you to get the letter.  You need that letter in your truck to start running with loads.  We will arrange for that letter of authority to be faxed to us the same day your authority is granted.  We will then contact you and fax it to you so you can start running pronto.
  • Liability Insurance Requirement  If the weight of the loaded vehicle, or the combined loaded weights of both the truck and the trailer is 10,000-lbs or heavier, you are required to carry at least $750,000 in liability insurance for non-hazardous loads.  For hazardous loads at any weight, the requirement is to carry either $1 million or $5 million in liability insurance, depending on the type of hazardous loads you haul.  If the weight of the loaded truck, or combined weights of the loaded truck and trailer is under 10,000-lbs, you are required to carry a minimum of $300,000 in liability insurance.
  • Cargo Insurance Requirement  With Common Authority, you are required to carry a minimum of $5,000 in cargo insurance.  With Contract Authortiy, you are not required to show proof of cargo insurance, and, if you do not have cargo insurance, the shipper you haul the load from would have to provide the cargo insurance.  If it is sand or gravel, there should be no problem.  But for regular loads, very few shippers will provide cargo insurance on the loads you haul from them.
  • To Become an LLC or to Incorporate  The name you use for your authority can be your personal name.  Or it can be your personal name followed by a d/b/a (Doing Business As) name.  If you use a d/b/a name, this name can be put on your truck signs without your personal name. You can also use a Limited Liability Company name (LLC) or a Corporate name (Inc.)  If you use an LLC name or a Corporate name, you must first register this name with the Secretary of State of your home state.  To register an LLC or Corporate name with your home state, the name must be unique as you cannot use a name that has already been registered.
  • You will need an EIN - Employer Identification Number  Most owner-operators who have trucks registered with plates above 54,000-lbs have a Federal ID Number (EIN).  If you have an EIN number in your personal name and would like to establish an LLC or Incorporate, you will need a new EIN number for the LLC or Corporation as the LLC or Corporation will become a separate legal entity from you.  We can apply for an EIN number for the LLC or Corporation.  There is alot to think about when you apply for your MC Authority and if you wish to become an LLC or to incorporate.
  • License Plates & Fuel Tax  Once you are granted your ICC / MC Authority, you will become a Carrier and, if you have not already done so, you will need an IRP license plate and register for IFTA fuel tax if your truck or tractor and trailer weight is above 26,000-lbs.  If you are operating a 3 or 4 axle truck, even if the gross weight is under 26,000-lbs. and you cross state lines, you will need an IRP license plate for the truck.  Once you have registered for IFTA fuel tax, we can do your Quarterly IFTA fuel tax reporting for you.
  • Weight - Distance Tax States  There are four states that are weight- distance tax states.  They are New York, Kentucky, New Mexico and Oregon.  If you go into New York state and your gross vehicle weight or combined gross weights are above 18,000-lbs, you will need to register for the New York HUT number.  If you travel into Kentucky and your plate is 60,000-lbs or more, you will need to register for a Kentucky KYU number.  If you cross into New Mexico, you can pay at the Port of Entry, or you can pre-register with New Mexico and the per mile charge will be lower to cross the state.  Oregon is unique as it does not have a fuel tax.  Instead, there is an Oregon Weight-Distance Tax.  You can either pay at the border or register with the state before hand and pay the tax monthly.  We can register you with any of these states.
  Just Call Us at   (765) 742-2610
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
7:00 am - 4:00 pm Central   ///   6:00 am - 3:00 pm Mountain
5:00 am - 2:00 pm Pacific Time
Copyright © Great Lakes Services Lafayette, IN

We accept the above Credit or Debit cards